General Travel Information

In order for travelers to be reimbursed in a timely manner, it is important for everyone to do their part as early as possible. 

A Travel Authorization is REQUIRED if any of the following apply to you:

  • Employed by KU (faculty, staff, GTAs, drivers, student hourly, etc.)
  • Reimbursement expected
  • Any expenses relating to travel charged to a p-card (i.e., conference registration, abstract, etc.)

Travel Authorizations must be submitted and processed prior to travel in case of an accident or emergency (ex: workers' compensation).  Additionally, all reimbursements and p-card reconciliation relating to the travel will be delayed if a TA is not on file prior to departure. Note that TA requests cannot be processed until the traveler provides funding information and identify the destination city (or city closest to the destination for rural field work).

The staff are here to help and happy to do so, but the traveler is ultimately responsible for ensuring they provide the necessary information and documents for their reimbursement to be processed. The more information that is initially provided, the sooner your reimbursement can be processed. Keep in mind that the staff only have the details that you provide (in other words, we don't know how you got from point A to point B, who was at dinner, etc. unless you tell us). Help us help you!

Travel Check Lists


  • Approval to travel, including estimated budget and funding source
  • Verify there are funds remaining in your Grant*** | GRF | IFA | Start-Up etc.
  • Complete Travel Authorization
    • Note: Have the following information ready
      • Who:  Travelers, attendees, participants
      • What: Conference (agenda with name, location, dates, time, meals provided); Non-Conference (a brief statement of the business purpose)
      • When:  Travel dates.  (note: It helps to have the time of departure and return in order to calculate per-diem, but it's not required for form)
      • Where: Travel Destination
      • Why: Detailed statement of business purpose such as:  conference, research, recruitment, field camp/trip, etc.
      • How: AutomobilesAirfare
  • For STUDENTS traveling INTERNATIONALLY, complete the Student Travel Registry
  • Request a Cash Advance Worksheet at least 28 days prior to travel (as needed)
  • Work with SSC Staff to book airfare, registration, rental car, etc.
    • Please note that for rental cars, we have to use Enterprise or National. For more information, view the policy. 
    • When you use a pCard to book hotel reservations, if you are using state money (099, 700 funds) you can’t pay for more than one night’s hotel reservation in advance.
  • The SSC will email you a travel authorization number as soon as one is created.  Within this email, they will verify the destination and funding along with a list of what is needed for reimbursement after travel.  
  • ***Research Funds need to have the following before travel***
    • Per Diem Exception Form (.docx) completed and signed by all parties PRIOR to travel and sent to the SSC
    • The PI must provide emailed endorsement of travel approval and funding for student travelers or other faculty who are not PIs on grant.
  1. Keep all ITEMIZED receipts for reimbursable expenses.  Note: credit card receipts, canceled checks, bank statements, etc. are not enough - they must be itemized!
  2. Keep a daily log of travel activity.
  3. If using a departmental vehicle, keep all fuel receipts.
  4. If you used a p-card DURING travel, please take a photo of the receipt and, as soon as possible,email it  to the SSC at with an explanation of what the expense is, its business purpose, and funding

For International Travel, a daily travel itinerary is REQUIRED for the travel expense report.

If travel is funded by Endowment/IFA funds, any travel over 5 days must include a daily itinerary including each days business purpose.


Note from Accounting Services at KUCR, regarding needing ALL receipts if you want reimbursement for that expense:

"KUCR policies regarding reimbursement for travel expenses incurred in the course of business are written with the goal of meeting the IRS definition of an 'Accountable Plan.'  Without a valid Accountable Plan, KUCR would be required to report all reimbursements as taxable income to the employee.  KUCR is required to consistently apply policies and procedures as necessary to ensure compliance with Federal tax laws and sponsoring agency regulations.  Requiring receipts for expenses exceeding $50 is also consistent with the Federal government's policy."

  • Gather all expense receipts
    • Airfare/Train/Transportation itinerary and cost
      • If driving and want mileage reimbursed, you must show the cost difference and how driving was better than flying.
      • Need to have the time of departure and the time of return regardless of style of transportation.
      • This is used to determine per-diem, regardless of funding source
    • Baggage Fees
    • Lodging - Itemized!
      • This is also used to determine per-diem.  The accountants need to have something on record about lodging regardless of funding source.
    • Rental car
    • Registration receipt (Conference registration or anything related)
      • Conference Agenda or Business meeting itinerary is also needed
    • Per Diem or actual meal receipts
    • Parking receipts
    • Fuel receipts
    • Toll receipts
    • Mileage
      • To include mileage to and from KCI.  If this is being reimbursed, the standard 110 miles round trip will be used unless told otherwise.
      • The Internal Revenue Service and State of Kansas Department of Administration have reduced the rates for mileage reimbursement effective January 1, 2020.  Private automobile mileage is $0.575 per mile for travel occurring on or after January 1, 2020.  The rates have been updated in Concur
      • If no mileage, please explain why (taxi, shuttle, etc).
      • State mileage
      • Research mileage
    • Taxi/Shuttle/Train/Bus receipts
      • please make note of destination and business purpose
    • Additional expense documentation if applicable
      • Supplies
  • Was any portion of your trip reimbursed or provided by another party?  If yes, please provide detailed information including who or what.  This would include any meals provided by the conference
  • If receipts are in another language, they need to be translated.
  • Currency needs to be converted. Oanda is a great reference.
    • If requesting foreign exchange rates charged by your credit card company, please write on each line of the statement a brief explanation: meal (per-diem), gas, hotel, taxi, etc.
  • DAILY ITINERARY for all International Travel and any Endowment/IFA funded travel over 5 days.
    • Field work also requires a daily itinerary
  • Conference Agenda or proof of meeting showing the name, location, dates, time, and any meals provided by the host/sponsor (see 1.e. above)
  • Travel Approval from PI, Chair, Faculty Advisor, or CLAS (ex: proof of travel award)
  • Business statements and the purpose of the travel is required for auditing purposes.
  • If you had excess days (travel outside of business), please state what you were doing.
  • If Endowment funded, please fill out the Endowment Travel Form (xls) and submit it with your receipts
  • If you used a p-card DURING travel, please take a photo of the receipt and send it as soon as possible to the email the SSC at with an explanation of what the expense is, its business purpose, and funding
  • If you have any missing receipts, please  email the SSC at to complete a Missing Receipt form.
  • Lastly, if not fully Endowment funded (split funded, State, or Research), please complete this travel checklist.


  • Please submit all documentation, grouped together, as soon as possible.
    • The IRS requires travel receipts submitted 60 days after the travel end date be taxes as a taxable fringe benefit.
      • If a traveler submits their receipts beyond the 60-day limit
        • The traveler and the department funding the travel will be notified and the travel reimbursement will follow existing workflow approvals within the PeopleSoft travel module.
        • Central Offices will work with Payroll to add the value of the taxable fringe benefit to the traveler’s W-2. 
        • Employee taxes connected with the post 60-day reimbursement will be deducted from traveler’s future on-cycle paycheck. 
        • Employer taxes on taxable travel reimbursement will be charged to departmental funding provided by the department funding the trip, also on a future on-cycle paycheck.  Funding for employer taxes may not be from a sponsored project as it is an unallowable expense.
        • To help travelers avoid this potential fringe tax, they will be reminded via email to submit their traveler receipts prior to 60 days.  Reminders will sent from KU Travel Notification System <>.
    • Please note that the 60-day limit is specifically for travelers turning in receipts and does not extend to reimbursement processing time by SSCs or Central Offices.  If a traveler submits receipts on day 60 and reimbursement is approved for payment 3 days later, the traveler will not be taxed.
      • The Comptroller’s Office and KUCR Fiscal Affairs plan to begin enforcement of this policy on March 1, 2017 for travel that ended December 31, 2016.   KU and KUCR policies will be updated to reflect this change.


  • If you are missing receipts, contact the SSC at  to complete the missing receipts form.
  • Documentation (originals or scanned copies) must be submitted to your SSC Financial point of contact, or to your departmental staff contact